Thursday, May 08, 2008

An e-mail from one of Debbie's Friends

Hello Jerry,
You don't know me... I was a Creative Memories Consultant in Oklahoma City several years ago, and through CM I met Debbie. Debbie and I were not close...we were simply friendly acquaintances over a period of a few years. I would see her at CM meetings and events, or we would exchange an email if we were looking for products for our customers.
In January of 2006, God moved my little family to Virginia. I lost touch with many friends and acquaintances from Oklahoma City, but there are some people whom God brings to my mind regularly. Debbie is one of them. I can't tell you how often I've thought of her since moving to Virginia, nor can I explain how how our brief and not very deeply-developed relationship could have fostered such remembrance.
There is an incident in particular that I remember frequently. Debbie and I both started training for a marathon at about the same time. She would sometimes mention her running at our CM meetings. Shortly before the OKC Memorial Marathon that year (I think it was 2004), I ran into Debbie at Lake Hefner. We were both doing a training run... she was with a friend and I was with a group. When Debbie saw me, she literally reached out and grabbed my arm, pulling me close beside her and began chatting with me, never missing a step as she walked briskly along (she and I were both doing the "run / walk" method of training), and treating me as though I were a long lost friend. I was enveloped in her energy and warmth. I was astonished. I was blessed. It was one of those seemingly insignificant moments in life that for whatever reason stays with me and replays over and over in memory.
Due to an ill-timed bout of stomach flu that spring, I did not complete the full marathon but chose to run the half instead. Debbie ran the full and completed it in great form for a first timer. I think her time was under 5:30. A year later, I emailed Debbie to see if she had run the OKC Marathon again. She had... and said she felt even better the second time through it. I had put my marathon training on hold by then, but I knew that one day I would get through those 26.2 miles and that inspiration would come in part from remembering how Debbie Wells made up her mind to run a marathon and did it... just like that!
Yesterday, May 4th, 2008, I ran those 26.2 miles. Today as I sat feeling the satisfaction of having gone the distance, I thought of Debbie. I wanted to let her know that I finally did it. I wondered if she had run the OKC Memorial again this year and decided to google her name on the web. I expected to find marathon race results. I found instead a heart wrenching account of Debbie's last year on earth. I am stunned.
Beyond the jolt of realizing that Debbie is gone, I am also moved by your account of the impact this has had on you. By articulating some of what has gone on within you through losing Debbie, you open windows for others to be able to look inside themselves. I am small compared to many others of faith. I'm often a coward... a skeptic. As I read your honest writing about pain mixed with praise for God, I felt encouraged. Thank you.
I pray that God will continue to reveal His exquisite nature to you even as He has you walk the excruciating path of having lost your best friend here on earth.
Peace,
Kim Ray

No comments: